This post provides a link to a short Youtube video tutorial that I created illustrating the steps required to download and install the free open source editor Notepad++ on a Windows Computer. In this video I am using Windows 7 but these steps should equally work for Windows 8 and Windows 8.1
So, why Notepad++? Well, the basic default text editor that comes preinstalled on every Windows computer is called Notepad. However notepad is really basic and has very little functionality and usability features. For example, the line number of the current line being edited is not displayed.
On the other hand Notepad++ is a greatly enhanced and completely free (open source) text editor that may be used as a replacement for the default notepad editor. Also, Notepad++ is a powerful source code editor that may be used to write programs in many different programming languages, such as Java, Python, C, C++ and so on. The key features of Notepad++ are as follows:
- Multi-Document (Tab interface)
- Split-Screen editing and synchronized scrolling
- Spell Checker
- Find and replace (with regular expression support)
- Syntax Highlighting and Syntax Folding
- Auto-completion: Word completion, Function completion and Function parameters hint
- Zoom in and zoom out
- Macro recording and playback
- WYSIWYG (Printing)
- Multi-Language environment supported
Last but not least, Notepad++ supports a vast array of (free) plugins that extent the functionality of Notepad++ in many ways. A built-in Plugin Manager is provided that allows you to install, update and remove plugins with ease.